Skip to main content

Why my fitness journey now

I have not always been active. 

I remember being 7 or 8 and the chubby kid in the neighborhood. My sister and friend decided to try and help me lose the "baby fat" but having me run laps around the cul-de-sac. I didn't last long. Not because I couldn't run, but because I didn't have the motivation they wanted me to have. I didn't see the need to change myself. 

In junior high I was still holding onto some "baby fat" but I had true friends that liked me for who I was and didn't try to change me to fit a mold. While I had regular subconscious and self conscious thoughts about myself it never went very far. 

In high school I rediscovered my love of dancing and was able to enjoy it casually as a side environment to the rest of life at the time. 

It wasn't until university and early adulthood that I started going and enjoying the gym. I found a trainer I really clicked with and found joy in realizing the strength and power of what my body was capable of. I worked with her even through two of my pregnancies!

What changed? Life. 

Her life changed, my life flipped upside down. Trying to find time for myself, especially outside the house, with multiple kids at home was hard. Finding a way to be separate from a nursing child was hard. So I found a way to make it work, I started building my resources AT HOME.  

Game changer. 

20 minute workouts while a child naps, monitor nearby became not only doable but life. If the child woke, I could press pause without guilt. 

I have worked out with children beside me and on top of me. I have worked out early in the morning, late at night, mid afternoon. Whenever it worked for me and our schedule. I had flexibility to make it work for me. 

While I saw some results, you always get out what you put in. About 6 months ago I needed a change. I was bored with the videos I had been using,  with mixed success and commitment, for 6 years. I need something new. 

Boy did I find it. I am no longer bored. I am learning about myself, better fitness, better nutrition, and how to live my best life. I can't see myself getting bored ever again! I have found a community that accepts me and pushes me to be better.  And results? Got those too. Come back next time to see them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Overcoming the gray

It never ceases to amaze me how much can affect our mood. Weather. Food. Life events. Environment. Routine. I woke up the other day in a state of gray. No energy or excitement for the day. I hadn't gotten a lot of sleep the night before, but as a mother of three with a nursling still, that is something I am used to.  I didn't start my day with my usual routine. I skipped parts. I struggled. I hid in the mindlessness of social media more than I may care to admit. Finally, I stole away to workout. To reclaim at least part of my skipped routine. I had my Energize, I pressed play and I sweated out the negative. While I gave myself permission to feel everything that was coming to the surface, I also gave myself permission to let go of it.  I chose positivity over helplessness. I chose calm over productive. I chose myself over the void.  That day I snuggled the kids closer and more often. I breathed in their youth and love. I made time for things that would bring me peace and a...

160 Kilometer Challenge

 As defined by the Cambridge English dictionary: Challenge (noun) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person's ability. We face challenges every day, by choice and circumstance. For the remainder of the year, I am setting myself the challenge of moving 160km (100 miles) of intentional and trackable distance. Not just the amount my FitBit records from everyday life. For me, this is a challenge of  - physical effort - time - accountability and consistency I too often let myself do less than I am able. I make excuses and allow myself to forget my goals (anyone else?) I'll start the month strong, but then "things happen", "life creeps in" and suddenly it's the end of the month and I am no closer to what I wanted to achieve. I am ready for a change, though, in my approach and my results. I am ready to dig deep and do what I know I CAN do, and accomplish what I WANT to, because coming out ...

Time is Relative

Time management  "the process of planning and exercising conscious control of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency, and productivity.  Wikipedia " For years, I've been congratulated on my organizational skills, on my ability to get things done, to use my time and resources so well as to stand out from the crowd.  I feel like it's always a house of cards. Balancing efficiency with laziness so as to get things done while doing it without a lot of effort.  That balance can only take you so far. Especially if you decide you want to go further, push out of your comfort zone.  "Work smarter, not harder" But what if you already do? To do more still feels harder and off balance since it's still fights against the previous plan.  So how do you change? How do you find a NEW balance, or your first go? Take action.  Seriously.  Focusing on the planning will stop you before you go. It can overwhelm and be the crut...