Skip to main content

Fitness is NOT One-Size-Fits-All

In my workout today the trainer said "Focus on the weight you lift, not on the weight you lose"


Read that again.


So often we start workout programs to lose weight and to be a smaller size.

What if we flipped the script and challenged the societal expectations and did it because it makes us feel:

- strong

- empowered

- happy

- sane


I want to be able to lift and carry my children for as long as they ask! I may not always say yes, but I don't want my no to be because I CAN'T!

Focusing on the act and the benefits of the moment can really help shift your mind from a result. 

Live in the journey, not for the destination.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

160 Kilometer Challenge

 As defined by the Cambridge English dictionary: Challenge (noun) something that needs great mental or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person's ability. We face challenges every day, by choice and circumstance. For the remainder of the year, I am setting myself the challenge of moving 160km (100 miles) of intentional and trackable distance. Not just the amount my FitBit records from everyday life. For me, this is a challenge of  - physical effort - time - accountability and consistency I too often let myself do less than I am able. I make excuses and allow myself to forget my goals (anyone else?) I'll start the month strong, but then "things happen", "life creeps in" and suddenly it's the end of the month and I am no closer to what I wanted to achieve. I am ready for a change, though, in my approach and my results. I am ready to dig deep and do what I know I CAN do, and accomplish what I WANT to, because coming out

Love Your Body TODAY

The thing is, no matter how much you workout, change your eating habits, or change your clothes. If you can't find a way to love yourself and your body for what it is, and what it has done for you, TODAY you'll never be satisfied tomorrow.  Let's think on this.  You put in months (maybe years) of effort. Restriction diets, hours in the gym, likely doing things you don't necessarily enjoy, but because you're told it's what you "should" do to lose weight, look a certain way,  love who you are.  You are miserable, mentally, and looking at yourself in the mirror all you see are the flaws, the imperfections, the areas that still need "improvement". There is never an end, never the congratulations, never a feeling of love or appreciation for yourself.  Sound familiar?  What we need to do as individuals, and frankly as a society, is to flip the script. Speak words out loud of appreciation and love for our body and what it can do and has done for us.